Vaalharts Water
Vaalharts Water

History

Building work on the Vaalharts Government Water Scheme started in 1934. Vaalharts Weir was built in the Vaal River, upstream from Warrenton, where water is being diverted in the Vaalharts Main Canal, in order to serve the North Canal, Klipdam-Barkly Canal and Taung Canal. The canal system consists of a total of 1,176 km of concrete coated canals which provide irrigation water to a total of 39,820 ha scheduled land, industrial water to six towns and other industrial water users and also domestic and livestock water, for primary use, to various properties.

Irrigation activities as well as storm water drainage on Vaalharts Government Water Scheme and Taung Irrigation Scheme, necessitated the building of multi-purpose drainage canals, in order to drain storm water as well as subsurface drainage water effectively out of the irrigation scheme. To date a total of 314 km of concrete drainage canals have been built for this purpose.

The Ganspan Welfare Settlement was developed under the Vaalharts canal system, with a listed area of 2,989,8 ha. The Vaalharts Agricultural Research Station was also developed with a listed area of 381,2 ha.

The Vaalharts Agricultural Research Station was also developed with a licensed area of 381,2 hectares.

Vaalharts Water History